Sunday, April 4, 2021

                                      

                                                                         Motherhood

                                                      Thoughts in the evening are mine to keep,
                                                      When all my children lay fast asleep.
                                                      The night is still, with just their snores,
                                                      And once in awhile, a creak of the floor.

                                                       The quiet now brings me such pleasure,
                                                       Although their noise is such a treasure.
                                                       This busy Mommy sure deserves,
                                                        A cup of tea to calm the nerves.

                                                        I think of how I spent the day,
                                                        And all the things that are left to say.
                                                        Have I been firm or much too soft?
                                                        Oh, no I think I heard a cough.

                                                        My work seems never to be done,
                                                        Yet having kids is so much fun.
                                                        They take so much of me, it seems,
                                                        That what is left, is only dreams.

                                                         I wouldn't change a single day,
                                                         Except to give, more love their way.
                                                         I renew my strength each quiet night;
                                                         Then start a fresh in morning light.

                                                         The nights are mine to always treasure,
                                                          But in the morn, their noise is pleasure.
                                                          I dread the day the noise will cease;
                                                          I do not need quite that much peace!


                                                                                                                      Lynn Cavanaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment