Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tiffany


The Sandman's come my sleepyhead,
As Mommy tucks you snug in bed;
Today's been long, with play so hard,
So dream your dreams while angels guard.

Your dollies watch from across the room,
While mommy takes your red balloon;
You clasped it tightly in your arms,
While Mr. Sandman wove magic charms.

You cannot take it where you go,
Balloons can't dream like you, you know;
You look so big just lying there,
With blanket clutched and mussed up hair.

You're growing even while you sleep,
Leaving precious memories for me to keep!

You look so peaceful lying there,
with turned up nose and not a care;
You jump a little with a start,
Whoops, better watch your step, sweetheart.

I want to keep you safe from harm,
Nestled gently in my loving arms;
But in your dreams you're all alone,
So very far away from home.

So dream your dreams of baking cakes,
Making mud-pies, oh, what tummy aches;
Should you awake in frightened tears,
I'll chase away your childhood fears.

You look so helpless, but I know,
You fight off dragons and you grow;
It brings me sadness and great pride,
That someday waking, you'll be a bride.

The days are turning into years,
You'll have to comfort Mommy's tears;
I watch you growing, while you sleep,
Leaving precious memories for me to keep!


                                                                                           Dedicated to my daughter 1980
                                                                                            Poetry of Nana Lynn

1 comment:

  1. 'while visions of BEP danced in her head'!

    ReplyDelete